Are bagels for breakfast healthy? Bagels can fit well within a healthy breakfast, if you choose and prepare them wisely. Often a good source of complex carbohydrates, the popular bread can provide both energy and a range of micronutrients, such as calcium, potassium and B vitamins.
What is the healthiest thing to put on a bagel?
- Tomato and Cucumber. Thinly sliced tomatoes and cucumbers have complementing flavors that bring life to a plain bagel.
- Jalapeno and Cheese. Instead of the typical mild-flavored bagel, try adding jalapeno slices with a bit of low-fat melted cheese.
- Mashed Berries.
How do you eat a healthy bagel?
- Choose a smaller bagel or bagel thin. Smaller bagels won’t have any more fiber or protein, but they will have fewer refined carbohydrates and calories.
- Pair your bagel with protein. Order your bagel with an egg on it.
What goes well with bagels for breakfast?
- a variety of cream cheeses (plain, scallion, lox, etc)
- a variety of jams.
- smoked salmon (I prefer Nova Lox)
- cooked bacon.
- tuna salad.
- egg salad.
- scrambled eggs.