Is there healthy Southern food? Like any other cuisine, Southern food has both healthy and unhealthy components, but it certainly has its roots in simple, plant-based foods. Greens, sweet potatoes and heirloom vegetables haven’t gone out of style and restaurants throughout the South are focusing on vegetable-based menus.
What is a traditional Southern meal? A traditional Southern meal is pan-fried chicken, field peas (such as black-eyed peas), greens (such as collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, or poke sallet), mashed potatoes, cornbread or corn pone, sweet tea, and dessert—typically a pie (sweet potato, chess, shoofly, pecan, and peach are the most common), or
What is the healthiest meal you can make?
- Stuffed sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are loaded with beneficial nutrients like beta carotene, vitamin C, potassium, and fiber ( 1 ).
- Grain bowls.
- Veggie loaded frittatas.
- Dinner salad.
- Loaded brown rice pasta.
- One-pot soups.
What foods are popular in the South?
- Our Readers’ Favorite Fried Chicken Recipe.
- Super-Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits With Honey Butter.
- Garlicky Skillet Greens with Ham.
- Southern Tomato Pie.
- Pecan Cream Cake.
- Biscuits with Sawmill Gravy.
- Nashville Hot Chicken.
- Hush Puppies.