What is a good snack for elderly people?
- Pita bread with hummus.
- Baked sweet potato chips.
- Granola bars made with whole grains and other natural ingredients.
- Oatmeal cookies.
- Whole grain and wheat muffins.
- Whole grain popcorn sans butter and salt.
What foods should an elderly person avoid?
- Raw or undercooked eggs, meat and poultry.
- High-sodium foods.
- Sodas and sugary drinks.
- “Sugar-free” drinks.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Foods with empty calories.
What is a good bedtime snack for seniors?
- Banana with Almond Butter. Almonds and bananas are excellent sources of magnesium6.
- Protein Smoothie. For athletes, drinking a protein smoothie before bed may help with muscle repair.
- Nuts and Seeds.
- Sweets and Excessive Carbohydrates.
- Fatty, Spicy, and Acidic Foods.
What foods give energy to the elderly? Starchy foods such as bread, rice, potatoes and pasta are a good source of energy, fibre and B vitamins and should be used as the basis for meals. Choose higher-fibre, wholegrain varieties such as whole wheat pasta, brown rice, or simply leaving the skins on potatoes.